Friday, August 25, 2006

Press release

In a press release issued by East Dunbartonshire council on the 7th of August announcing the councils decision on the new schools. They close with these paragraphs...

" The detail of this alternative option was scrutinised by the Council’s Educations Quality Development Service and external advisers who found the TMHS site to be more advantageous in terms of educational benefits...

...Teaching unions, the EIS and SSTA agreed with this view as did a majority of the associated Primary School Boards. The interim School Board for Bishopbriggs Academy also supports this view.


As a serving member of the board until the last meeting I would like to know where this information came from. The school board did NOT know the councils decision until the same day as the public.

How can you agree with something you don't know about?

I called Claire Robertson and asked her where this information came from.

Claire called to inform me that Sandy McGarvey had approved the Press Release on the grounds that a letter sent by the Interim School Board backed this statement. Mr McGarvey was unavailable for comment.

See update School Board Letter... post

The Board did not know the council decision until the same day as the public, weeks after the letter was sent. Therefore, the Council position is, the Board agreed to decision before the council made one!


I was angry when the letter was emailed to myself, and other Board members, after it had been sent. I pointed out the letter was questionable and my comments were later backed up by statistics gathered by another Board member.

I understand that Board correspondence is available in the public domain, once that is clarified I will post it here then you can decide for yourself.


more to come...

The press release is published on several web sites including the ipfa and pfi here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have checked the Interim School Board members.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is one of the joint chairs not a paid member of the east Dunbartonshire council?

Surely that's a conflict of interest?

gamezplay said...

Yes, one of the school board chairs is a paid by East Dunbartonshire council.

The letter was sent without the school board discussing it.

I cannot see why this happened as we all had e-mail access - only Norman was on snail mail.

For the council to use this as approval is upsetting, I have called Mr McGarvey but I am still waiting a reply.

Bad show all round.

Anonymous said...

I think there are grounds to have the school build stopped and reviewed if the correct process was not followed. This conflict of interest may be just such a thing, as well as the ignored public opinion. It would need an injunction - anyone know how?

Anonymous said...

this is not due proocess andmay be grounds to stop the project - along with the ignored public opinion. It would require an injunction - anyone know how?