Friday, August 18, 2006

Interview with Bill Waddell (Head teacher for 11 years)


Excerpts from Alison Rennie (Bishopbriggs Herald) interview with Head teacher Bill Waddell.

He was the last head teacher before the amalgamated head was appointed.

"This week reporter Alison Rennie speaks to Bill Waddell, head teacher of Bishopbriggs High, who is leaving the school after 11 years.

TEACHING wasn't the first career choice for Bill Waddell, head teacher of Bishopbriggs High School. He admits it was actually third behind working for the Government's statistics department or becoming a tax inspector. But the taxpayers' loss was teaching's gain as Bill soon discovered when he started his first teaching job of a 30-year career. "My first job was maths teacher in Park Mains Secondary in Erskine, Renfrewshire, in 1974," he recalled.

Bill (54) has been at the school for 11 years and is leaving the school in December.

Bill didn't apply for the head teacher post at the new school and said, although he is sad to leave, he is looking forward to what lies ahead. "I never planned to be a head teacher, my main ambition was to be the head of a maths department but I kept getting promoted," he said. "I have never wanted to be in the same school for 30 years so I've enjoyed moving about. I think about 10 years is a good length of time to be a head teacher. "I am going to be tutoring student maths teachers at Jordanhill from January and I might be getting involved at a national level mentoring head teachers. "I'll have a bit of a rest first though!" Bill said he has thoroughly enjoyed his time at the school and appreciates the support he has always had from local parents. He said it hasn't sunk in yet that he is leaving the school and hopes it doesn't until he is gone."


Gone but not forgotten, Bill left a school he had vastly improved over this 11 years. I think it was a great loss to the school, he will be a hard act to follow. If the council had not applied for an 'amalgamation' I know he would still be head teacher.

This text from interview here

No comments: