Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My 100 year connection with the school


I can trace my connection with Bishopbriggs High School back 100 years.

My mother has lived in Bishopbriggs all her life, starting in Mavis Valley, a mining village by the canal, near where the sports centre is built.

He grandfather was a builder and build bungalows in Brackenbrae Avenue and Woodhill Road. She moved the Springfield Square after meeting, and marrying, my father who was posted to Bishopbriggs during the Second World War.
That's when I arrived, we then moved to Hawthorn Avenue, the home my parents still live in and I moved to Colston Avenue after getting married.

My mother, and her uncle, attended the old Bishopbriggs High School (now the library) and my sister and myself attended the new Bishopbriggs High after Wester Cleddens primary.

I had to fight hard for my sons to attend the High School, but they do, and for that I am proud.

My mother worked at the school for over 25 years, so all-in-all I feel very attached to the place.

Having survived the bombings during the Second World War it took a single council meeting on 26th June to close the school.

No comments: